Behavioural Support Manager Full-time
- Dec 29, 2023
- Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
- Ina Grafton
Do you have a passion for making a difference?
At Ina Grafton Gage Home, we are passionate about providing compassionate care for families' loved ones, where the residents of our home come before anything else. This philosophy can be seen in every aspect and level of our home. We are seeking a candidate that shares our mission, vision and values.
MISSION STATEMENT- Everyone we serve will experience life to the fullest with the highest quality of service and compassionate care.
VISION- A premier and innovative home that promotes a high quality person centered environment throughout the continuum of care.
VALUES- Teamwork, Excellence, Compassion, Knowledge
At Ina Grafton Gage Home, we are passionate about ‘Making Every Moment Matter.”
Responsibilities of the Behavioural Support Manager at Ina Grafton Gage Home
The Behaviour Support Manager will serve as an in-house, on identification and management of responsive behaviours. This dedicated Manager will function in a specialty role providing clinical care to older adults presenting with or at risk for responsive behaviours that may be associated with dementia, complex mental health, substance use and/or other neurological conditions.
The Behaviour Support Manager will work in collaboration with the Behaviour Support Resource Team, Psychogeriatric Resource Consultants Geriatric Mental Health Outreach Team, Long Term Care Behaviour Support Outreach Team, hospitals, CCAC, primary care providers, and other providers and professionals. The Behaviour Support Manager may also provide expert assistance to neighbouring LTCHS.
Essential Duties are the technical skills and knowledge that an employee requires in order to perform their role. Below is detailed information on required Essential Duties for your position.
- Provide sound clinical knowledge and skills, act as clinical expert and resource, and provide comprehensive, quality client/family-centred health care services,
- Collaborate with Psychogeriatric Resource consultants and mobile behaviour support resources in the development/refresh of the LTCH's Behaviour Support Resource Team (BSRT),
- Provide leadership and support to the LTC home's BSRT,
- Coach LTC home staff in the use of frameworks such as PIECES and UFIRST to assess responsive behaviours, identify triggers and develop behaviour care plans and approaches to providing care to residents requiring behavioural support as well as their families,
- Provide comprehensive biopsychosocial geriatric assessments, treatment, follow-up and discharge planning in collaboration with the BSRT,
- Provide coaching on the implementation of behaviour care plans and guide appropriate care plan transitions,
- Aid in the transition of long-term care residents with responsive behaviours (new or existing) between community, hospital and neighbouring long-term care homes (LTCHS),
- Convene and chair regular Behaviour Rounds that enable front line staff to discuss care plans with internal and external resources,
- Identify the need for additional consultation and/or referrals to external services or specialities and coordinate referrals,
- Advocate for and, protect the individual rights of, residents/clients,
- Raise client-specific challenges/barriers to a supervisor, as a means of identifying systemic issues where broader consultations may be required,
- Proactively identify training and education needs for the home and coordination with the PRCs to deliver capacity building supports,
- Participate in the Orientation process of new employees, volunteers or students in regards to the Responsive Behaviour program,
- Other duties as assigned and or indicated in the Job Task Inventory.
At Ina Grafton Gage Home we take pride in our employees, so your qualifications are important to us. We use them to get to know you and see if we are a good fit for each other. The qualifications needed to join our family at Ina Grafton Gage Home are as follows:
- Current registration with the appropriate College,
- Current CPR/First Aid certification,
- Training in Gentle Persuasive Approaches (GPA), U-FIRST, P.I.E.C.E.S., Dementiability are an asset,
- Minimum one (1) year experience with clients in long-term care or residents in a long-term care home setting,
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill working with older adults presenting with or at risk for responsive behaviours that may be associated with dementia, complex mental health, substance use and/or other neurological conditions,
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor others,
- Demonstrated ability to take professional accountability for leading, organizing, providing and delegating care activities for residents and families,
- Experience with quality improvement methods and processes an asset,
- Basic computer skills - Microsoft Word, Excel and online learning utilities including the ability to use electronic communication devices preferred,
- Knowledge and understanding of RAI-MDS process,
- Demonstrate flexibility in schedule to ensure all shifts (D, E,N) get support if needed,
- Must have a clear vulnerable sector screen, no older than 6 months, TB test results less than 6 months old, must be able to provide three supervisory references.
- Ina Grafton Gage Home recognizes the importance of immunization to protect our residents, staff and others from COVID-19. As such, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, it will be a condition of employment that all new hires are fully vaccinated having received both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada, 14 days before start date.
How to apply?
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and references. We look forward to speaking with you and Making Every Moment Matter™.
We are committed to inclusion, diversity, and equity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all persons. Our organization takes the accessibility needs of employees and candidates with disabilities into account during the position summary review process. Employees and candidates are required to notify their Director/Manager/Supervisor or Hiring Manager if they have any accessibility needs and the organization will work with the employee to address them.