Participates as a member of the interdisciplinary team to plan, implement and evaluate programs, outings and events that meet the residents’ physical, social, emotional, cognitive, spiritual and cultural needs.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
• Complete initial and ongoing programs assessments as necessary to determine residents’ recreation and rehabilitation needs.
• Complete documentation and accurate records as required including: Program guides, participation tracking, monthly statistics, Intake documentation, Quarterly documentation, MDS/RAPS, regular are
plan updates based on residents’ status, progress notes
• Plan and implement programs based on resident assessments completed
• Offer new, creative and innovative recreational programs to residents on an ongoing basis
• Facilitate one-on-one and small group programs on unit
• Facilitate or co-facilitate large group weekly programs including religious services and
• Plan and implement special events, community based programs and outings
• Provide palliative care interventions as needed
• Evaluate and make adaptations to programs as appropriate
Qualifications and Experience:
• Has a post-secondary diploma or degree in recreation and leisure studies, therapeutic recreation, kinesiology or other related field from a community college or university
• Or must have held a program therapist position at a different LTCH without meeting the updated qualifications set out in the Regulation, on the condition that the person has had (3) years full-time experience in the position during the (5) years immediately before being hired at the different LTCH or the equivalent part-time experience in the position during the (7) years immediately before being hired at the different LTCH.
• Experience working with seniors
• Experience planning, implementing and evaluating programs
• Computer literate
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent organization skills
• Knowledge of RAI-MDS – AIS certified, if not must be completed successfully within one (1) year of being hired.
• Second Language (Chinese, Portuguese, Italian, and Eastern European languages are an asset)
• CPR and First Aid qualifications